Berndt Friberg (1899-1981)
Long necked vase, green haresfur glaze.
Height 11.00 cms
Signed Friberg for Gustavberg date letter for 1953.
Berndt Friberg was born to a family of potters in Sweden in 1899. He began work as an apprentice at pottery in Höganäs at the age of 13 and worked in various studios until he was 35. In 1934, he began working at Gustavsberg. He apprenticed under art director Wilhelm Kåge and began producing his own line of pottery at Gustavsberg in 1944.
Because Friberg started as a thrower, rather than as a designer, his work is known for its technical perfection and simple form and glaze, with attention to fine detail. His graceful forms were influenced by Chinese Song pottery, and were decorated with own monochromatic, “haresfur” glazes. Friberg continually experimented and refined his glazes, recording the details in for future use.
All his studio work is personally thrown and signed by him with a date letter, pieces range in size from miniatures to large floor vases.
Berndt Friberg's pottery appears in the photographs of Robert Mapplethorpe, who was a collector, as were King Carl Gustaf of Sweden who purchased over one hundred pieces and Yves Saint Laurent. His work is represented in museum collections in Stockholm, Copenhagen, New York, London and Tokyo. He received the gold prize at the Triennale di Milano in 1948, 1951, and 1954; Gregor Paulsson Trophy in 1960; first prize at the Faenza International Ceramic Art Competition in 1965; and the Prince Eugene Medal (Sweden) in 1980. He was also represented in the Contemporary Ceramics Exhibition held in Japan in 1964.