Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux (1827-1875)
Black and white chalk on beige paper.
28cms by 43cms.
Inscribed Carpeaux on reverse and inscription, possibly by Carpeaux’s brother.
Provenance: Collection of Jean- Francois Gigoux (1806-1994), stamped with collectors mark Lugt. 1164
Collection of Arnold and Vivienne Haskell. The Haskells were well known art collectors and had selections of their collection publily exhibited in the 1960’s.
Son of a stone mason, Carpeaux entered the Ecole de Beaux Arts in 1844 and won the Prix de Rome in 1854. He stayed in Rome between 1954 and 1861, inspired by Michelangelo. Tired of the academic life he sought subjects from the street, which was a break with tradition.
Carpeaux was convinced that his future lay in the hands of a great patron, Napoleon III. After much hard work he eventually met with the Emperor and secured a commission for a statue. He was to gain several commissions from Napoleon III and his family during his career.
In 1866 he opened his own studio and was able to make sculpture on a grander scale, in the same year he was awarded the Legion d' Honour.
He died at the early age of 48 in 1875, at the pinnacle of his career,his pupils included Jules Dalou and Jean-Louis Forain.
Major works include ‘The Danse’ commissioned for the facade of the Opera Garnier, Paris, and ‘The Carpeaux Fountain’ just south of the Jardin du Luxemburg, Paris.