Carved Beech cat by Faust Lang c.1930
Signed, Faust E Lang
St Ives sculptor in wood.
Faust Lang was born in Southern Germany in a town famous for its woodcarving.
Faust emigrated to England in 1934 lafter first moving to Salisbury, Wiltshire, with his in-laws. The family then moved to Morgan Porth, Cornwall, in 1936 along with his wife Una Lang and his son Wharton Lang. In 1949 they moved to St Ives, purchasing Fauna Studio, Mount Zion, which became a base for his artistic work.
He exhibited widely both nationally and internationally submitting work to the Royal Academy in 1946/47 and numerous other galleries such as the Russell Coates Art Gallery in Bournmouth and The Medici Gallery, Old Bond Street, London. He produced a wide range of private commissions including religious work much of which can still be seen.
His style is very expressive but with great attention to detail, outlining every muscleand sinew in order to give a feeling of life and movement. He also produced a series of figurines for Wade Ceramics before World War II.