Edgar Degas (1834-1917)
Dimensions:H: 53.6cm (21.1")
'Danseuse tenant son pied droit dans la main droit'
Bronze, signed Degas
Marked - 'Valsuani cire perdu'
numbered 4/9, 23, Succession Degas
This sculpture was cast from the plasters found in the Hebrard foundry situated just outside Paris when it was taken over by Valsuani.
In 1998 with the permission of the remaining Degas heirs, the Valsuani foundry cast an edition of 12 of each of the 74 plasters depicting all his dancers and equestrian sculptures. It is thought that the plasters date prior to 1955 and were possibly made before the rediscovery of the wax originals, which were thought to have been destroyed, subsequently sold by Hebrard to Knodler Galleries in New York. The majority of the wax originals were purchased by Paul Mellon and donated to the National Gallery in Washington DC.